2023 San Antonio Livestock Show Sheep Skill-A-Thon Speech Topics
Juniors – No speech
Intermediates – Choose one of the following topics and prepare a speech limited to 5 minutes maximum.
- Discuss management practices performed on a lamb from birth until weaning.
- What are three nutritionally associated diseases in show lambs? What are the causes? How would you treat it?
- Internal parasites are a major issue to the sheep industry. What are the management and/or breeding schemes that can help minimize or eliminate issues with internal parasites?
- What are the major nutrients needed by a lamb and what are the functions of each?
Seniors – Choose one of the following topics and prepare a speech limited to 5 minutes maximum. Seniors should also be prepared to receive a thought question after the presentation of his/her speech.
- What are the main causes of ovine abortions in the United States and what are strategies to control this?
- What are the five stages of production in a ewe and nutritional requirements for each stage?
- How have changes in our population and culture impacted the lamb and wool industry?
- How can sheep and wool be utilized as an environmental tool?
Possible thought questions:
- Questions over selected speech topic.
- Questions dealing with market lamb production.