2022 San Antonio and State Fair of Texas Sheep Skill-A-Thon Speech Topics
Juniors – No speech
Intermediates – Choose one of the following topics and prepare a speech limited to 5 minutes maximum.
- Identify or describe what you would look for if your lamb was sick.
- What are some specific vitamins and minerals that need to be monitored in a show lamb diet?
- What are the positive attributes of wool that make it a dynamic fiber for the textile industry?
Seniors – Choose one of the following topics and prepare a speech limited to 5 minutes maximum. Seniors will also be given a thought question after the presentation of his/her speech.
- How can reproductive technologies (ultrasound, AI, ET, etc.) be beneficial to improving production?
- Describe how to evaluate a lamb carcass. Include factors that influence the quality, determination of age, color of lean, and analysis of conformation.
- Internal parasites are a major issue to the sheep industry. What are the management and/or breeding schemes that can help minimize or eliminate issues with internal parasites?
Possible thought questions:
- Questions over selected speech topics.
- Non-agriculturally based person.
- Questions dealing with market lamb production.
- How can hair sheep fit into Texas sheep production?
- Explain the pros and cons of breeding ewe lambs.