- Associate Professor and Extension Beef Cattle Specialist
- Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension Center at Amarillo
- (806) 677-5612
- Website: https://tamu.academia.edu/JasonSmith/
- Undergraduate Education
- B.S. Animal and Veterinary Sciences, West Virginia University, 2007
- Graduate Education
- M.S. Animal and Nutritional Sciences, West Virginia University, 2009
- Ph.D. Animal and Poultry Sciences, Virginia Tech, 2015
Jason Smith, Ph.D. is an associate professor and Extension beef cattle specialist at the Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension Center at Amarillo. He is a native of northern Virginia, where he developed a passion for beef cattle at an early age.
Although he feels that his formal training in beef cattle nutrition and production management were pivotal, Smith feels that his first-hand experiences learned the hard way through developing and maintaining a small commercial cowherd with his family continue to play a pivotal role in his education. As an Extension Beef Cattle Specialist for the Department of Animal Science and Texas A&M AgriLife Extension, located in Amarillo, his efforts are focused toward developing and supporting educational programs that benefit beef cattle producers and other industry stakeholders. Jason also works to conduct applied and demonstrational research in beef cattle nutrition in order to link fundamental discovery to application in the field, and answer production-relevant questions that would otherwise remain unanswered.
Smith’s professional memberships include the American Society of Animal Science, the Southern Section Extension Committee for the American Society of Animal Science, the Plains Nutrition Council, and the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association.