- Gary Smith
- Visiting Professor
- Distinguished Alumni Awards by College of the Sequoias, California State University-Fresno, Washington State University and Texas A&M University
- Outstanding Teaching Performance Award - Texas A&M University
- Honor Professor Award - Texas A&M University
- College of Agriculture Teaching Award - Texas A&M University
- University Distinguished Teaching Award - Texas A&M University
- Deputy Chancellor’s Award for Team Research - Texas A&M University
- 44 additional University, Association, Society, or Company awards/honors from Outstanding Educators of America, American Society of Animal Science, National Live Stock Grading and Marketing Association, American Meat Science Association, National Association of Meat Purveyors, Progressive Farmer, Beef Magazine, Texas Pork Producers Association, US Meat Export Federation, Livestock Publications Council, Meat Marketing and Technology Magazine, American Meat Institute, National Meat Association, Secretariat of Agriculture of Argentina, Colorado Livestock Association, International Livestock Education Foundation, National Honor Society, National Cattlemen’s Foundation, Beefmaster Breeders United, ISI Thomson Scientific Highly Cited Researchers, American Hereford Association and US Meat Industry Hall of Fame.
Gary C. Smith served as an Instructor and Assistant Professor at Washington State University (1961-1965, 1968-1969), an Associate Professor, Professor, Section Leader and Department Head at Texas A&M University (1969-1990) as well as Professor, University Distinguished Professor and Holder of the Ken and Myra Monfort Endowed Chair in Meat Science at Colorado State University (1990-2010).
Smith’s research interests include red meat safety, carcass evaluation and grading; composition, quality, and palatability of red meat; and packaging and retailing of red meat. He is presently a member of the Boards of Directors of Food Safety Net Services, Where Food Comes From, and Nolan Ryan Beef Company as well as on Advisory Boards of US Meat Industry Hall of Fame, Progressive Beef and JBS-USA.