- Chris Skaggs
- Professor & San Antonio Livestock Exposition Chair in Animal Science; Associate Dean for Student Development, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Room 515 Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Undergraduate Education
- B.S. in Animal Science and Agricultural Education, Texas Tech University
- Graduate Education
- M.S. in Animal Science, Kansas State University
- Ph.D. in Animal Science, Iowa State University
- NACADA Advising Certificate
- 2002 Mervin and Annette Peters Advising Award from the Texas A&M University Advisors and Counselors
- Vice Chancellor’s Award in Excellence in Student Counseling and Relations
- Vice Chancellor’s Award in Excellence for Undergraduate Teaching
- Haas-Litterst Outstanding Teaching Award in the Department of Animal Science
- Vice Chancellor’s Award in Excellence for Industry/Agency/Association Partnerships for Beef 706 Program Team
- Texas A&M University Association of Former Students Distinguished Teaching Award
- 2003 Vice Chancellor’s Award in Excellence for his contributions as part of the Extension Beef 101 Team
Dr. Chris Skaggs is professor and Associate Dean for Student Development for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. He also holds the San Antonio Livestock Exposition Chair in Animal Science.
Skaggs received his doctorate in animal science from Iowa State University, his master’s in animal science from Kansas State University, and two bachelor’s degrees in animal science and agricultural education from Texas Tech University.
Skaggs coordinates the introductory animal science laboratories, teaches AGLS 101 (Freshman Orientation) for the College, and co-teaches the livestock and meats evaluation courses. Skaggs also assists in recruitment efforts for the College, coordinates the college scholarship program and student professional development activities, coordinates student internships with the San Antonio Livestock Exposition and is liasion with major livestock shows of Texas. He is a co-editor, with H. O. Kunkel, dean emeritus of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, of “Revolutionizing Higher Education in Agriculture: Framework, Principles and Agenda for Action,” a study of the colleges of agriculture, natural resources and life sciences in the United States.
Skaggs devotes a considerable amount of time to live animal evaluation. He has judged numerous national shows including the National Western, North American International, San Antonio Livestock Exposition and Houston Livestock Show beef cattle shows, and he works with youth at hundreds of youth shows across the country. He serves as superintendent of the intercollegiate livestock judging contest and the steer show at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, assistant superintendent of the 4-H/FFA livestock judging contest, beef cattle skillathon and steer show at the San Antonio Livestock Exposition and superintendent of the steer show at the State Fair of Texas.