- Bill Mies
- Visiting Professor
- Undergraduate Education
- B.S. in Animal Science, University of Illinois
- Graduate Education
- M.S. in Animal and Range Science, Montana State University
- Ph.D. in Animal Science, University of Missouri
- Outstanding Teacher award for the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences at Texas A&M University
- Honor Professor Award for the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences at Texas A&M University
- Haas Litterest Award for Teaching - Department of Animal Science, Texas A&M University
William Mies retired as a beef feedlot consultant with the Global Beef Group of Elanco Animal Health. He now teaches part-time at Texas A&M University. He worked in research and development of new animal drugs, experiment station management, commercial feedyard management and general management of a beef production company. During his work in feedlot management, he developed and operated a risk management program for Friona Industries. In addition he set up a marketing program to sell boxed beef directly to retailers. Dr. Mies then spent 14 years at Texas A&M University teaching livestock marketing, risk management, and feed yard management. Since leaving Texas A&M he has worked in integrated beef production and animal data management.
Dr. Mies has worked with the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association as Chairman of the Research and Education Committee and advisor to the Value Based Marketing Task Force. He was the technical advisor to the Beef Quality Assurance Task Force for 20 years. Dr. Mies designed and implemented the Strategic Alliances Demonstration Project for NCBA which has been the template for many of the current day beef alliances. Dr. Mies has judged a number of livestock shows and worked as a consultant in a number of foreign countries.
He is married to Elaine and has two children and five grandchildren.