The 2024 Texas A&M University Department of Animal Science FFA/4-H Meat Judging Clinic will be held on March 23, 2024, at the Rosenthal Meat Science and Technology Center.
All classes including grading and retail ID will be available for viewing in various locations throughout the RMSTC. The classes and retail ID are designed for on-your-own evaluation by students and coaches, i.e., there will not be groups assigned or students led through the classes as in a typical contest. One key per club/chapter will be available beginning at approximately 10:45 AM. Everyone entering the facility must wear a hard hat, hair net (beard net if any facial hair), clean frock, long pants and close-toed shoes. Under no circumstances should exhibits be moved or handled without prior permission from clinic officials.
For questions, please contact Jennifer Wyle at 979.862.3728 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The meat judging clinic will be held on March 23, 2024 from 8:00 am – 12:45 pm.
Rosenthal Meat Science and Technology Center, 488 Olsen Blvd., College Station, TX 77845
How to Register
Registration can be completed via JudgingCard
Registration costs $14 per contestant.
- 8:00am – Welcome and Instructions – Dr. Davey Griffin, Extension Meat Specialist and Jennifer Wyle, TAMU Meat Judging Team Coordinator
- 8:30am – Introduction to Meat Judging, Pork Carcass and Wholesale Cut (Fresh Hams and Pork Loins)
- Evaluation and Questions/Reasons
- 9:00 am – Grading and evaluating Beef Carcasses and Questions/Reasons
- 9:40 am – Evaluation of Beef Wholesale Cuts and Questions/Reasons
- 10:15 am – Lamb Carcass Evaluation and Questions/Reasons
- 10:45 am – Retail Cut Evaluation and Questions
- 11:00 am – Adjourn to exhibits and retail ID
- All mini-clinics will be in Room 100 of the Rosenthal Meat Science and Technology Center. Workshops are hosted by the 2024 Texas A&M Meat Judging Team members and meat science faculty and staff. The clinics include logic in the evaluation of classes and give instructions and insight into taking notes for questions and reasons.
- Thank you to Mr. Ray Riley and the staff at the Rosenthal Meat Science and Technology Center for cutting much of the product and for the behind-the-scenes activities that allow these events to take place.
All products/classes will be moved back into the coolers beginning at 12:45 PM. The RMSTC will be closing at 1:00 PM. Please plan your workout to conclude by these times.