- Reinaldo Cooke
- Associate Professor, Beef Cattle Production
- Undergraduate Education
- B.S. in Animal Sciences, São Paulo State University, Brazil
- Graduate Education
- M.S. in Animal Sciences, University of Florida
- Ph.D. in Animal Sciences, University of Florida
- • Western Section - American Society of Animal Sciences, Extension Award, 2017
- • CAS - F.E. Price/Agricultural Research Foundation Award for Excellence in Research, 2016
- • Western Section - American Society of Animal Sciences, Young Scientist Award, 2016
- • Oregon Beef Council, Distinguished Service Award, 2014
- • Celebrating Success, Oregon State University College of Agricultural Sciences, Rock Star Faculty, 2011
Dr. Reinaldo Fernandes Cooke is an Associate Professor in the Department of Animal Science at Texas A&M University. Dr. Cooke received a B.S. (2003) in Animal Sciences from Sao Paulo State University, and a M.S. (2006) and a Ph.D. (2008) in Animal Sciences from the University of Florida. Prior to Texas A&M, Dr. Cooke served Oregon State University as Assistant and Associate Professor – Beef Cattle Specialist from 2009 – 2017.
Dr. Cooke’s academic program is geared toward addressing the needs of the Texas, US, and worldwide beef industries. His research efforts focus on management strategies to improve productive efficiency in beef cattle operations, including nutrition, health, growth, and reproductive responses in Bos indicus and B. taurus cattle. To date, Dr. Cooke has authored/co-authored 93 journal articles, 2 book chapters, 102 conference abstracts, 55 conference proceedings, 95 Extension articles, delivered 150 Extension presentations in local, national, and international events, and secured approximately $4 million of extramural research funding. Dr. Cooke has mentored 35 research interns, nine M.S. and six Ph.D. students, and one post-doctoral fellow.
As evidence of his research and Extension accomplishments, Dr. Cooke received the Western Section ASAS Extension award in 2017, the Western Section ASAS Young Scientist Award in 2016, and was the first Extension Specialist to receive the OSU/CAS – F. E. Price/Agricultural Research Foundation Award for Excellence in Research (2016). As recognition for his service to the Oregon beef industry, Dr. Cooke received the 2014 Oregon Beef Council Distinguished Award Service. Dr. Cooke’s research program also received Western Section ASAS Applied Animal Research awards in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, corroborating its importance and applicability to the beef industry. Dr. Cooke is an active member of ASAS, currently serving as secretary-treasurer for Western Section ASAS and Section Editor for the Journal of Animal Science.