- Jim Sanders
- Senior Professor, Animal Breeding & Genetics
- Room 432 Kleberg
- Undergraduate Education
- B.S., Texas A&M University
- Graduate Education
- M.S., Texas A&M University
- Ph.D., Texas A&M University
- 2012 College of Agriculture Student Council Honor Professor Award
- 2009 ASAS Rockefeller Prentice Memorial Award in Animal Breeding and Genetics Research
- 2009 Vice Chancellor’s Award for Team Research
- 2001 Beefmaster Breeders United Commitment to Excellence Award
- 1997 Texas Brahman Association BeefBooster of the Year Award
- 1997 Vice Chancellor’s Award for Team Research
- 1991 University-level Association of Former Students’ Faculty Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching
- Association of Former Students’ Distinguished Teaching Award for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences in 1989
- 1987 American Brahman Breeders Association Friend of the Year Award
- 1982 Alpha Gamma Rho Teacher of the Year Award
Dr. Jim Sanders is a professor in the animal breeding and genetics section in the Department of Animal Science. He received his B.S., M.S. and doctoral degrees from Texas A&M University.
Dr. Sanders teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in animal breeding and conducts research in beef cattle genetics and breeding. His research has included systems analysis of beef cattle production, comparisons of cattle breeds for birth, growth, carcass and cow productivity traits, evaluation of genetic change within cattle breeds, evaluation of hybrid vigor retention in Bos indicus/Bos taurus crossbred cattle, identification of genes with major effects on birth, growth, carcass, disposition, and cow productivity traits in beef cattle, and genetic history of the Brahman breed.
Dr. Sanders has traveled and made presentations, observed livestock production and/or judged cattle shows in South Africa, Botswana, Kenya, Panama, Brazil, Argentina, Costa Rica, St. Croix, Mexico, Belize, Colombia, Zimbabwe, Ecuador, Canada, Australia, Guatemala, Paraguay, and Thailand. He has coached a national champion 4-H Livestock Judging Team and a national champion Intercollegiate Livestock Judging Team. He has judged numerous livestock shows in Texas and twelve other states and ten foreign countries.