Meat Judging Clinic
The 2023 Texas A&M University Department of Animal Science FFA/4-H Meat Judging Clinic will be held on March 25, 2023 at the Rosenthal Meat Science and Technology Center. All classes including grading and retail ID will be available for viewing in various locations throughout the RMSTC. The classes and retail ID are designed for on-your-own evaluation by students and coaches, i.e., there will not be groups assigned or students led through the classes as in a typical contest. One key per club/chapter will be available beginning at approximately 10:45 AM. Everyone entering the facility must wear a hard hat, hair net (beard net if any facial hair), clean frock, long pants and close-toed shoes. Under no circumstances should exhibits be moved or handled without prior permission from clinic officials.
For questions, please contact Jennifer Wyle at 979.862.3728 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meat Judging Clinic – March 25, 2023
- Location: Rosenthal Meat Science and Technology Center, College Station, TX
- Registration: judgingcard.com
- Time: 8:00am – 12:45 pm
- Clinic Fee: $14/contestant
- Clinic Schedule:
- 8:00am – Welcome and Instructions – Dr. Davey Griffin, Extension Meat Specialist and Jennifer Wyle, Meat Judging Team Coordinator
- 8:30am – Introduction to Meat Judging, Pork Carcass and Wholesale Cut (Fresh Hams and Pork Loins)/Evaluation and Questions/Reasons
- 9:00 am – Grading and evaluating Beef Carcasses and Questions/Reasons
- 9:40 am – Evaluation of Beef Wholesale Cuts and Questions/Reasons
- 10:15 am – Lamb Carcass Evaluation and Questions/Reasons
- 10:45 am – Retail Cut Evaluation and Questions
- 11:00 am – Adjourn to exhibits and retail ID
- Important Notes:
- All mini-clinics will be in Room 100 of the Rosenthal Meat Science and Technology Center. Workshops are hosted by the 2023 TAMU Meat Judging Team Members and Meat Science faculty and staff. The clinics include logic in evaluation of classes and give instructions an insight into taking notes for questions and reasons.
- Special thanks goes to Mr. Ray Riley and the staff at the Rosenthal Meat Science and Technology Center for cutting much of the product and all the behind-the-scenes activities that go on to allow these events to take place.
- All product/classes will be moved back into the coolers beginning at 12:45 PM. The RMSTC will be closing at 1:00 PM. Please plan your workout to conclude by these times.
Meat Judging Camp
Fightin’ Texas Aggie Meat Judging Camp is a 2 ½ day program dedicated to teaching sponsors and students the fundamentals of evaluation, selection, and grading of beef, pork, and lamb carcasses and cuts.
Information on the summer 2023 camp will be posted soon. For questions, please contact Jennifer Wyle at 979.862.3728 or email@example.com.