The competitive teams in the Department of Animal Science wrapped up a successful semester and are gearing up for the busy season of competitions in spring of 2023. Below are recent updates from the Livestock Judging Team and the Meats Judging Team from December/early January.
Livestock Judging Team
- John Reaves – High Individual overall
- Kevin Jendrusch – 4th overall
- Abby Johnson – 7th overall
- Kaitlyn Cloud – 8th overall
Huge thanks to the following firms for showing us an incredible set of livestock.
- 16 members from 6 states
- 27,000 miles traveled across 16 states
- 14 total contests
- 9x Champion Team (Most wins by an A&M team since 2006)
- 5x Reserve Champion Team
- Champion team in reasons 11 out of 12 times (no reasons at Griswold or NWSS Carload contests)
- 53 top-10 overall individual finishes
- 7 out of 10 Coaches Association Academic All-Americans (Most of all time)
- 2022 Reserve National Champions
The picture is certainly full of an incredible amount of hard-earned hardware, but years from now, this team will be remembered for their tenacity, passion and competitive drive. And we are confident their legacy and impact on this industry will be much bigger than the trophies they captured!
Continue to make us proud!
Left to Right, Back Row: Carter Burgin, Spearman, TX; Gage Hogan, Sterling City, TX; Gunner Crawford, Adamstown, MD; Logan Jackson, Lipan, TX; Tar Tut, Faribault, MN; Mason Pape, Justin, TX; Michael Rezendes, Madera, CA; Seth Hilfiker, Holtville, CA Left to Right, Front Row: Caleb Boardman, Coach and Coordinator; Brook Nerving, Roscoe, TX; Kenzy Hoffmann, New Braunfels, TX; Logan Thomas, Raymondville, TX; Katie Kempen, San Antonio, TX; Kristen Massingill, Hamilton, TX; Lauren Thomas, Raymondville, TX; Emma Mercer, Hyattville, WY; Maddie Schroeder, Columbia City, IN; Landon Eldridge, Assistant Coach
Meat Judging Team
The 2023 meats team is on the road! The team consists of 14 students and is coached by Trent Stolowski, Meat Science Graduate Student. They are currently in the Texas Panhandle practicing for their first contest, The National Western, in Greeley, CO.
Team members include: