COLLEGE STATION — Send your child to learn from the champions in Aggieland. The Department of Animal Science at Texas A&M University will host several youth camps this summer that can increase your child’s understanding of livestock through hands-on experience.
Topics range from livestock and horse judging, to showing cattle, sheep and goats. Camps and details are as follow:
Livestock Judging Camp
- Dates: Camp I – May 27-29, 2011 & Camp II – June 24-26, 2011
- Cost: $300. Camp fee includes lodging and meals.
- Registration Deadline: (Camp I) May 20, 2011 & (Camp II) June 18, 2011
- About: Designed for 4-H and FFA members interested in building their knowledge of evaluating market and breeding animals, including beef, swine, sheep, and goats. This camp focuses on selection principles, oral reasons, live market evaluation, and breeding animal performance data.
- Website: http://animalscience.tamu.eduhttp://aglifesciences.tamu.edu/animalscience/workshops/youth-workshops/livestock-judging-camp/
- Contact: Jake Franke at firstname.lastname@example.org or 979-845-7616.
Show Cattle Camp
- Dates: Camp I – June 10-12, 2011 & Camp II – June 17-19, 2011
- Cost: $150 per participant. $75 per adult.
- Registration Deadline: (Camp I) May 27, 2011 & (Camp II) June 3, 2011
- About: For children ages 8-18 years old. The camp emphasizes showmanship, day-to-day management and creating your own champion.
- Website: http://animalscience.tamu.edu/academics/beef/beef-center/camps/show-cattle-camp/index.htm
- Contact: Paul Maulsby at 979-862-4736 or email@example.com.
Horse Judging Camp
- Dates: Camp I – June 22-24, 2011 & Camp II – July 6-8, 2011
- Cost: $275 per participant. Camp fee includes meals, housing, judging manual, notebook and t-shirt. Adults, coaches or parents may attend for the same fee. However, additional chaperones may or may not be needed. $245 per participant if commuting.
- Registration Deadline: (Both camps) May 15, 2011
- About: These camps are for youth 12-18 years of age. New format with instructions for beginners/intermediate and advanced. Learn halter classes, performance classes and oral reasons.
- Website: http://animalscience.tamu.edu/workshops/youth-work shops/tamu-horse-judging-camp.htm
- Contact: Dr. Clay Cavinder at firstname.lastname@example.org or 979-845-7731.
Lamb and Goat Camp
- Dates: Lamp Camp – July 15-17. 2011 & Goat Camp – July 22-24, 2011
- Cost: $120 per participant. $60 per adult. Does not include lodging, but it does cover breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday, as well as snacks during breaks.
- Registration Deadline: Open to the first 150 paid youth applicants.
- About: Aggieland Lamb & Goat Camp is a 3-day program dedicated to teaching parents and students the fundamentals of feeding, nutrition, health, facilities, selection and showmanship. There will be lots of hands-on learning for all participants.
- Website: http://animalscience.tamu.edu/academics/sheep-goats/sheep-center/youth-camps/index.htm
- Contact: Dr. Shawn Ramsey, Katie Fritz or Kelsey Willberg at 979-845-7616 or email@example.com.