The nationally recognized Texas A&M University Horse Judging Team invites you to attend the 3rd annual Run for the Roses Banquet on Saturday, May 3, 2014 in College Station. The team will gather to enjoy the “Greatest Two Minutes in Sports” as they watch the 140th Kentucky Derby and support the Texas A&M horse judging program through celebrating current successes and reconnecting with past members. The evening will include:
- Screening of the 140th Kentucky Derby live on a 28-screen wall display
- Silent and live auctions
- Awards for “Best Dressed” and “Best Derby Hat”
- Entertainment will be provided
- Dinner will be served
- Slideshow of the Texas A&M Horse Judging Team
Saturday, May 3, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.
Texas A&M University Campus
556 John Kimbrough Blvd
College Station, TX 77843
If you would like to talk with us about helping sponsor the Run for the Roses Banquet, please click on the Sponsor button. The Horse Judging Team is self-supporting and could use your help! The team is looking for sponsors for silent and live auction items.
You may register online by clicking on Run for the Roses Banquet registration or you may print out a registration form and mail it along with payment.
Dress to impress with Spring Derby Attire, hats encouraged! For more information on Derby Attire, go to http://www.kentuckyderby.com/content/derby-attire.
Find us on Facebook: Texas A&M University Horse Judging
The Texas A&M Horse Judging Team teaches students to evaluate horses and horse performance, and to compete in intercollegiate competitions with teams from other colleges and universities. Since the first Texas A&M University team began competition in 1972, no other school has won more national championships than Texas A&M. Students on the team gain much needed and useful experience in analytical and critical thinking, judgment, written and oral communication, and many of them go on to become professional judges for several breed associations. The team competes in the Spring Intercollegiate Sweepstakes contest in Fort Worth and the NRBC Futurity in Katy, TX; and the fall competitions include the AQHA Congress in Columbus, OH; the National Reining Horse Association Contest in Oklahoma City, OK; and the AQHA World Show in Oklahoma City, OK.
The teams most recent wins include:
- 2002 and 2005 AQHA World Champions
- 2000 and 2006 AQHA Reserve World Champions
- 2002, 2010, and 2013 AQHA Congress Champions
- 2000 and 2005 AQHA Reserve Congress Champions
- 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011 NRBC Champions
- 2006 and 2008 NRBC Reserve Champions
- 2009 and 2011 NRHA Futurity Champions
- 2007, 2010 and 2012 NRHA Futurity Reserve Champions
- Additionally, individual members of these teams have been high individuals at all contests.
As an independently funded organization, the Horse Judging Team raises funds by hosting the TAMU Horse Judging Camp each year, a three-day event in which youth are instructed in judging performance and conformation classes along with giving oral reasons. Attendees to the camp have gone on to win judging contests around the state of Texas and the United States.